Speckles n Spectrum

back to basics seemingly-banal adventures of an eclectic modern muser...

"Learning from the Past, Hopes for the Future, and a Life's Journey of making the most of what's at hand."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an exact replica of the post card sold then
that we submitted as projects
for Sibika and Kultura or Hekasi.
José Protasio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda WAS my childhood hero next to my father. He had been an inspiration when it comes to my studies THEN. I think most kids back then admire him most because his portrait is in every classrooms and almost every school has a monument honoring him and his life was introduced and taught to kids as early as kindergarten (picture and name at least.)

I still remember when I was in 2nd Grade having a regular night time session of memorizing and learning 10 words from a specific letter in the alphabet. Let's say this Monday 10 words from letter A, tomorrow 10 from B, next 10 from C and so on. It was just my idea and my parents didn't even know about it. They were even wondering why I'm always with our bulky dictionary the whole time I'm at home even while watching TV.

But don't ask me now for I've never succeeded. Hay like reading all the books and learning a new language I gave up, I'm too young to waste my life racing with a polymath. I realized that when I reached high school so I wasted my time somewhere, on something different but I still love reading yet not so much that it had to be the center of my life.

Hey, this should be about Rizal not me. Sorry I forgot, got carried away on the nostalgia... haha.

So Rizal or "Pepe" as called by his family is the Philippines National Hero. (see wiki) The seventh child with 10 siblings, 9 of whom were girls. A son of Francisco Mercado Rizal, a farmer and Teodora Alonzo y Quintos both from distinguished families.

Indeed Rizal is a genius of his time, the Tagalog Hamlet. He can rival Shakespeare with his works and may be even more.
 "A versatile genius, he was an architect, artists, businessman, cartoonist, educator, economist, ethnologist, scientific farmer, historian, inventor, journalist, linguist, musician, mythologist, nationalist, naturalist, novelist, opthalmic surgeon, poet, propagandist, psychologist, scientist, sculptor, sociologist, and theologian."
(see Jose Rizal: A Biographical Sketch)


I was able to memorize his biography then because of the projects in grade school and it paved my way to reach the Regional Press-Conference as a feature writer just writing about him. Yep, we have a great team along with my favorite teacher/coach Mrs. Clavo. That's why I heart Rizal that much those times but then Andres Bonifacio life came in full blown in high school and gossips and controversies encircled Rizal's life in college. He's still my hero but only next to Andres...


Andres Tormes, haha joke that's my lolo's name. (Oops don't visit me now, just suddenly remember you Tatay. Name recall that's about it. Peace! P.S. When are you all going to fetch me? lol)




Additional readings: 


Genius has no country. It blossoms everywhere. Genius is like the light, the air. It is the heritage of all.


To live is to be among men, and to be among men is to struggle, a struggle not only with them but with oneself; with their passions, but also with one's own.


Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice.


The tyranny of some is possible only through the cowardice of others.


The world laughs at another man's pain.


He who would love much has also much to suffer.


I go where there are no slaves, hangmen or oppressors;


Where faith does not kill; where the one who reigns is God.

( see quotes by Jose Rizal)




I borrowed the title from this essay:



Rizal is the spirit of contradiction; a soul that dreads the revolution, although deep down desires it.








Miguel de Unamuno, philosopher-writer, in his essay "Rizal, the Tagalog Hamlet", in Rizal: Contrary Essays (1990)


By the way, Yo Lolo Jose, Happy 150th bday
and in case you're still too busy up there
you're a pretty cool icon now!



In case you would want to know, I know your famous line:

"Ang hindi magmahal sa sariling wika ay higit pa sa isang malansang isda


I have a great excuse it's called globalization. I'm writing so that I'm relatable and everyone can understand me but I talk in my dialect.

Hmmm, Now I just want to ask you why did you write most of your writings in a different language, specifically in the mother tongue of the oppressors

And in what language are your thoughts, mine is a pretty give away here in my blog... =)



0 Thoughts:

Post a Comment


Spectrum by

Archives

Kristinabiog.blogspot.com BlogWithIntegrity.com
-----------------------------------
Powered by Blogger.